It’s turning out to be a huge year already – get in on the gradings, competitions and trip to Japan!
Less than two months remain until our grading! I have emailed the new syllabus, please take note of the additional resources in the appendix. Take charge of your learning; come early and practice what you have learned. Ask me or your seniors to teach you any parts of your syllabus you are unfamiliar with.
The TJKN karate tournament and the BJJ State Titles are both on April 8. A number of people, particularly kids, have indicated an interest in competing in the Kumite, Kata and Kata bunkai events at the Karate tournament. Please register now via the link above and let me know what events you are competing in – the more the better! As I will attend the Karate tournament, we will need to nominate a team captain to support anyone competing in the BJJ State Titles. So far a couple of people have indicated an interest in competing, please confirm whether you will be competing ASAP!
We have some big Kudo events on the horizon:
- The World Cup is in India from Feb 10 – 13.
- Kudo QLD Titles are scheduled (TBC) for April 9
- Kudo SA Titles are being planned for June. I have started to arrange for two high ranking instructors to travel from Japan to officiate, hold a grading and teach a seminar. Mark this one in your calendar, and start training now, I want Sobukan to do well!!
If all that wasn’t enough, a team of Sobukan members will be accompanying me to Japan in the second half of July!
Some things on the menu:
- train at some of the best Kudo, Karate, Jujutsu and MMA dojo in Japan
- sing our hearts out at Karaoke
- eat bucket-loads of sushi
- climb Mt Fuji
- visit Disneyland
- attend fireworks festivals
- explore a castle
- see the Great Buddha
- reflect at shrines and temples
- day trips to various locations in and arund Tokyo
So far Pacey, Sam and Zandy are in, and Daniel C might also be on board. If you want to attend, speak to me or these guys ASAP to ensure you can share flights and accommodation. If you need more motivation, check this out.
We have a sausage sizzle at Woolworths Cumberland Park on April 23 to raise funds for dojo activities and equipment, including this trip.
Thank you to Umehara san for hosting his annual kakizome sessions at Sobukan in early January. Umehara brought all the calligraphy equipment and spent several hours teaching our members how to brush their goals in Japanese.